Located twenty one miles north of New York City, Ardsley is a small village, slightly over a square mile, with a world-class school system.
Ashford Avenue, the main street in Ardsley, was originally an Indian trail leading from the Hudson River to Long Island Sound. The village, once known as Ashford, became a destination for the wealthy at the turn of the century. After World War II, a thriving suburb with lovely neighborhoods developed.
Ardsley has excellent athletic programs and ball fields for both children and adults. Its convenience, family focus, and excellence in education have made it a highly desirable community.
- Village of Ardsley in Town of Greenburgh
- Local Highways: Saw Mill Parkway, Rt 9, I-87
- Distance to NYC: 21 miles
- Area: 1.25 sq miles
- Population: 4,452 (2010 census)
- Dobbs Ferry Taxi 914-693-9449
- Knapp McCarthy Taxi 914-332-8294
- Scarsdale Taxi 914-723-0016
The schools within the Ardsley Union Free School District is serviced by:
- Concord Road Elementary School (K-grade 4) 914-231-0800
- Ardsley Middle School (grades 5-8) 914-295-5600
- Ardsley High School (grades 9-12) 914-295-5800
For the full school report on Ardsley's schools, please visit the New York State Education Department.
- The Hackley School (PreK-grade 12) 914-366-2600
- The Masters School (grades 5-12) 914-479-6400
- Rye Country Day School (PreK-grade 12) 914-967-1417
- Immaculate Conception School (PreK-grade 8) 914-591-9330
- Maria Regina High School (grades 9-12, girls) 914-761-3300
- Sacred Heart (PreK-grade 8) 914-946-7242
- St. Ann’s School (PreK-grade 8) 914-941-0312
- Transfiguration School (PreK-grade 8) 914-631-3737
Visit Waterfront Park in nearby Dobbs Ferry, a beautiful eight-plus acre park along the banks of the Hudson.
Take a tour the Historic Hudson Valley properties of Sunnyside, the Washington Irving residence in Irvington, Philipsburg Manor, the pre-Revolutionary home and working farm in Sleepy Hollow, Kykuit, the Rockefeller family home in nearby Pocantico Hills and the Rockefeller-built Union Church in Pocantico renowned for its series of stained glass windows created by Marc Chagall as well as for its Henri Matisse Rose Window. Also nearby is the castle-like gothic revival mansion Lyndhurst, former home of the railroad magnate Jay Gould.
New York Waterways offers a seasonal scenic two hour river cruise departing from Tarrytown and proceeding northwards in full view of awe-inspiring Hudson Valley River scenery.
Horseback riding lessons and trail riding can be arranged through area stables such as Beech Hill Farm, Beech Hill Rd, Pleasantville (914) 762-9882 and Fox Hill Farms, 204 Old Sleepy Hollow Rd., Pleasantville, (914) 769-9813.
Be entertained at Tarrytown Music Hall located at 13 Main Street; one of Westchester’s oldest surviving theaters. Built in 1885, it continues to be a venue for some of today’s most popular entertainers and productions.
- The Riviera Bakehouse on Saw Mill River Road has everything you can think of… and more… that is made of flour. Pick up one of their specialty cakes for dinner and try the muffins.
- The Westchester Mall is 15 minutes away in White Plains (Bloomingdales, Nordstrom’s, Nieman Marcus)
- Stew Leonard’s, Costco and Home Depot are nearby just off I-87.
Market profiles are prepared in collaboration with real estate agents who either live or work in the town they write about.