The Village of Mamaroneck grew up around its harbor, which is the second largest natural small boat harbor on the East Coast. With mooring and docking facilities for 400 boats, a fishing pier, swimming beach, and privately run boatyards. Located in southern Westchester, the Village of Mamaroneck borders the shores of the Long Island Sound and consists of several seaside communities with 12 1/2 miles of shoreline, scenic harbors, sandy beaches and more than 323 acres of parkland.
Scattered throughout town are boutiques, antique stores, gourmet markets, delis, and restaurants like Le Provencal Bistro offering a touch of Provence. People come from all over the country to feast at Sal’s Pizzeria on the Avenue or savor some of Walter’s famous hot dogs near the High School. There is a local Clearview Movie Playhouse where you can see the latest film releases or enjoy the fabulous Emelin Theatre offering a wide range of family entertainment.
This picturesque village retains the charm and flavor of a quaint New England town, yet is only a 35+ minute train commute into Manhattan.
Village of Mamroneck
Local Highways: Hutchinson River Parkway, I-95
Distance to NYC: 23 miles
Area: 4.5 sq miles
Population: 19,500 (2000 census)
Commuters from Mamaroneck can reach Grand Central in 35+ minutes on the New Haven line of Metro North Railroad. The Mamaroneck Train Station is located at at the bottom of Mamaroneck Avenue. Visit www.mta.info for more information.
Station parking: Ample metered and monthly parking spots are available. Contact the MTA or Village of Mamaroneck.
Connecting Services: A Bee-Line bus stops at the Mamaroneck Train Station. Fare is $1.75 or uni-ticket for $37.50 a month. See www.beelinebus.com for a schedule.
Mamaroneck is serviced by the local Mamaroneck Union Free School District. Mamaroneck schools are consistently ranked among the elite public schools in the country. It consists of Mamaroneck High School, Hommocks Middle School and four elementary schools: Chatsworth Ave., Murray Ave., Central School and Mamaroneck Ave. Central and Mamaroneck Ave serve the families of Mamaroneck.
You can also check the website of New York State Education Department for a full school report on Mamaroneck schools at http://emsc33.nysed.gov/repcrd2004/links/c66_dist
French American SchoolPreK-10(914) 834-3002
Rye Country Day SchoolPreK-12(914) 967-1417
The Hackley SchoolPreK-12(914) 631-0128
Windward School1-12 + SpEd914-949-6968
Iona Grammar SchoolPreK-8 boys(914) 633-7744
Iona Preparatory School9-12 boys(914) 632-0714
Solomon SchechterK-12(914) 948-3111
St. John and PaulPreK-6(914) 834-4597
Westchester Day SchoolPreK-8(914) 698-8900
- Located on Long Island Sound is beautiful Harbor Island Park, which has a beach open to residents of the Village and their guests.
- The middle school-Hommocks-has an Olympic-sized pool which is used in the middle school gym program and also serves as the town pool. The pool has a bubble top for year around use by the whole community. The fee for its use is less than $400 a year per family. A kiddy pool and snack bar open in the summer are also a part of the Hommocks pool complex. Families can also host birthday parties at the pool.
- The Hommocks Ice Rink located next to the middle school and pool, is a wonderful public facility with one of the best ice rinks in Westchester. The enclosed rink is the site of an intramural youth hockey league, and ice skating school available for children of all ages and skill levels. Parties and special events can also be arranged. The fee is $4.50 for residents and $6.50 for the public.
- Public tennis courts can be found at Harbor Island. Come winter the Village puts up a bubble for year round tennis fun. A comprehensive group lesson program is available for children and adults.
- Harbor Island the area’s main facility for soccer games, Little League and summer leagues. Florence Park has additional tennis and basketball courts.
- Some of the best known golf clubs in the country are in the area. Winged Foot Golf Club on Fenimore Road has two of the world’s greatest courses and has been the site of some of the greatest moments in golfing history. However, it has a waiting list that is decades long. There is Hampshire Country Club in the Orienta Point neighborhood of Mamaroneck. The Bonnie Briar Country Club has a lovely old Tudor club house, extensive facilities and a championship 18-hole course.
- The Avenue is noted for its wide range of ethnic, casual and upscale restaurants. From Abis, a traditional Japanese restaurant, Enzo’s, to the homespun Italian delis or the ever wonderful Café Mozart- there is a taste for everyone.
- Many locals enjoy a meal and a night out at the Emelin Theater.
- Mamaroneck residents consider themselves fortunate to have their very own Trader Joe’s next door in Larchmont. There is also a recently expanded and renovated A&P and a Super Stop and Shop grocery stores in town.
- Fresh vegetables are readily available from storefronts on the Avenue and Lord’s Farm produce center on the Post Road.
- Nearby in New Rochelle are Costco, Home Deport and Home Expo. Of course, the Westchester, one of the most wonderful shopping malls on the East Coast, is only minutes away in White Plains.
Market profiles are prepared in collaboration with real estate agents who either live or work in the town they write about.