In the nineteenth century, basket makers, cobblers, hat makers and farmers established themselves in Pound Ridge, By the beginning of the twentieth century, the village had developed into a sought-after refuge for actors, writers and artists. Today creative types are still attracted to the area with its historic houses, antique center at Scotts Corners and for its annual art and craft fairs. While Pound Ridge is large in area, it has one of the smallest populations of any Westchester town. It offers a comfortable lifestyle, and while rural in feeling, the town is only forty five minutes from New York City and Connecticut is a short drive away.
Hamlets of Pound Ridge and Scott’s Corners, in the Township of Pound Ridge.
Local Highways: Merrit Parkway, I-684, I-95
Distance to NYC: 45 miles
Area: 23 sq miles
Population: 4,900 (2000 census)
Commuters from Pound Ridge have a choice of Metro North train stations both in the area and over the border in Connecticut; each within approximately one hour of Grand Central Station. Each station offers a variety of parking options.
For more information visit www.mta.info
There are various connecting Beeline services depending on which station one opts to travel from.
Visit www.beelinebus.com for schedules and further information.
Pound Ridge Elementary School (K-5): (914) 764-8133
Students in Pound Ridge attend Middle School (6-8) and High School (9-12) in either:
Bedford Central School District, Fox Lane Campus, Route 172, Bedford: (914) 241-6000
Katonah-Lewisboro School District, Route 123, South Salem Ph: (914) 763-7000
You can also check the website of the New York State Education Department for a full school report on North Salem schools
The Harvey School6-12(914) 232-3161
St. Patricks Parochial SchoolPreK-8(914) 234-7914
- The town’s own park offers ball fields, skating pond, tennis, pool and walking trails.
- With its nearly 4,700 acres of woodlands and streams, the Ward Pound Ridge Reservation in Cross River inspires four seasons of outdoor activities. From camping, fishing, hiking and picnicking in the summer to cross country skiing in the winter, one can spend virtually all year round staying fit while enjoying nature.
- The Nature Conservancy includes the Mianus River Gorge Wildlife Refuge and Botanical Reserve, as well as the Morgenthau Preserve
- Gourmet delis in the area include The Fridge and Samuel Parker’s.
- The Inn at Pound Ridge is housed in an eighteenth century building set amidst splendid grounds, and serving its loyal clientele a creative and innovative American style menu.
- DiNardo’s will entice you with its homemade pastas and and thin-crust pizzas.
- The area offers movie theaters in nearby Bedford, N.Y. and New Canaan, Ct.
- The Westchester Mall is 20 minutes away in White Plains (Bloomingdales, Nordstrom’s, Nieman Marcus)
- The nearby Danbury Fair Mall houses over one hundred stores including Sears and Macy’s.
- Stamford and Norwalk offer virtually every major retail outlet imaginable.
Market profiles are prepared in collaboration with real estate agents who either live or work in the town they write about.