- Incorporated in 1788
- Local Highways: Taconic State Parkway, Rte 9 & 9A, Bear Mountain Parkway and the Palisades Parkway
- Area: 34.5 sq miles
- Population: 42,821 (2016)
- Distance to NYC: 38 miles
TransportationCortlandt commuters can reach Grand Central Station in less than an hour from two convenient Metro North stations on the Hudson Line. The Cortlandt Train Station is located at 2 Memorial Dr., and the Croton-Harmon station is at 1 Croton Point Avenue.
- Cortlandt has 1600 spaces. (Parking Map)
- Croton-Harmon 1900 spaces. (Parking Map)
- Village residents automatically get a parking permit (Cortlandt, Croton-Harmon).
- Outside the village, there may be a wait-list for permits.
- Metered Parking in effect Mon-Friday 6:00 am to Midnight. Saturday and Sundays are Free.
- Cortlandt Bee-Line Bus Route 14
- Croton-Harmon Bee-Line Bus Routes 10, 11, 14
- Amtrak is available at Croton-Harmon.
AIRPORTWestchester County Airport is a 35 minute drive.
PUBLIC SCHOOLSThe town of Cortlandt does not have its own school system. The locations of its residents’ homes will determine where their children will attend schools:
- Hendrick Hudson School District (K-grade 12) 914.257.5100
- Lakeland Central School District (K-grade 12) 914.245.1700
- Croton-Harmon Union Free School District (K-grade 12) 914.271.4713
- Putnam Valley Central School District (K-grade 12) 845.528.8143
- Rippowam/Cisqua Lower Campus, Mount Kisco (PreK-grade 4) 914.244.1200
- Rippowam/Cisqua Upper Campus, Bedford (grades 5-9) 914.244.1250
- The Hackley School (PreK-grade 12) 914.366.2600
- The Masters School (PreK-grade 12) 914.479.6400
- Rye Country Day School (PreK-grade 12) 914.967.1417
- The Harvey School (grades 6-12) 914.232.3161
- Archbishop Stepinac High School (grades 9-12 boys) 914.946.4800
- Fordham Preparatory School (grades 9-12) 718.367.7500
- The Leffell School (K-grade 12) 914.948.3111
- St Augustine’s School (PreK-grade 8) 914.941.3849
- Kennedy Catholic High School (grades 9-12) 914.232.5061
- Bike and walk the North-South County Trailway, a paved, multi-use trail spanning 36.2 miles through Westchester County, 22.1 miles comprise the North County Trailway, from Eastview in the Town of Greenburgh north to Putnam County. The remaining 14.1 miles, south to the New York City border make up the South County.
- For spectacular 180° river views, visit Croton Point Park, which features hiking, boating, swimming, and camping. Further upriver is George’s Island Park, 208 acres located on the waterfront of Montrose. Here it is possible to spy Bald Eagles soaring overhead.
- Be awestruck by the massive Croton Dam and the thundering water cascading over its massive hand chiseled stone construction. Fish, picnic and hike at Croton Gorge Park, a 97-acre property at the base of the dam.
- Blue Mountain Reservation is a heavily-wooded, wild 1600 acre park with over fifteen miles of trails for hiking, horseback riding or mountain biking. The Blue Mountain Trail Lodge has overnight and eating accommodations available for rent by groups and sleeps up to 30 people.
- Take a tour of the Historic Hudson Valley properties of Van Cortlandt Manor, an estate located in Croton-on-Hudson which dates back to the 1600’s, Philipsburg Manor, the pre-Revolutionary home and working farm in Sleepy Hollow, and Kykuit, the Rockefeller family home in nearby Pocantico Hills.
- Pay tribute to one of this country’s most famous composers and visit the Aaron Copland House in Cortlandt.
- Thirty scenic minutes away is the Military Academy at West Point, just over the Bear Mountain Bridge. On the way, plan to stop for lunch and antiquing in the atmospheric Cold Spring.
- Play golf at the new public course at Hudson Hills in Ossining, Hollow Brook Golf Club in Cortlandt Manor, and on the private course at Hudson National Golf Course in Croton-on-Hudson which allows village residents with a qualifying handicap to play. Other nearby private clubs include The Sleepy Hollow Country Club and The Trump National Golf Club.
- Work out at Premier Athletic Club in Montrose, or at the New York Sports Club in Croton-on-Hudson.
- The Paramount Hudson Valley Theater is a wonderful resource for the entire region. This stunning space is a historic theater recently renovated and used for regular showings of art house films, theoretical and music performances as well as a gallery space. Stars such as Stanley Tucci and Bernadette Peters have devoted their energy to its success.
- Hendrick Hudson Free Library in Montrose offers a wide selection of reading material for all ages.
- In Croton-on-Hudson, try 105 Twenty Bar & Grill, a casual, American restaurant with a separate bar area; Ocean House Oyster Bar & Grill for the best fried oysters in Westchester; Yuka’s Latin Fusion offers a rustic-chic spot offering an extensive menu of Latin fusion plates paired with cocktails & wine, and many more.
- Located in an old Peekskill stone mill, Journeyman Bakery is open Wednesday & Saturday 9AM – 3PM. Place your orders online for pick-up on Saturday’s.
- Cole’s Market on Rt 9A in Montrose is an old-fashioned butcher and country market, renowned for the highest quality meats and fish and produce.
- A & S Fine Foods in Croton-on-Hudson offers Italian food products such as homemade sausages and mozzarella.
- The Woodbury Commons Premium Outlets is located about 30 minutes away in Central Valley, New York. Covering an extensive area, it features 250 of the most sought after, high-end fashion and designer retail brands in the world.
- Eat, shop and play at the Jefferson Valley Mall, only ten minutes away in Yorktown. Macy’s, Dicks Sporting Goods, and 24 Hour Fitness are its anchor stores, with nearly ninety other well known stores such as H&M, Loft, and Express.
- Cortlandt Town Center on Rte 6 in Mohegan Lake has over 40 stores, including a 12-screen Regal UA Theater, Walmart, Home Depot, Best Buy, various clothing stores and restaurants.
- The Westchester Mall is 30 minutes away in White Plains (Nordstrom’s, Neiman Marcus, Crate & Barrel, and many others).
Market profiles are prepared in collaboration with real estate agents who either live or work in the town they write about.
The data relating to real estate for sale comes in part from OneKey MLS. Real estate listings held by brokerage firms other than William Ravies are marked with the HGMLS logo and information about them includes the name of the listing broker. The information appearing herein has not been verified by the OneKey MLS or by any individual(s) who may be affiliated with said entities, all of whom hereby collectively and severally disclaim any and all responsibility for the accuracy of the information appearing on this web site, at any time or from time to time. All such information should be independently verified by the recipient of such data. This data is not warranted for any purpose.
Information Believed Accurate But Not Warranted. The information being provided is for the consumer's personal, non-commercial use and may not be used for any purpose other than to identify prospective properties in which they may be interested in purchasing.